Friday, April 11, 2014

Post #7: Sibling Day

OK, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but yesterday was National Sibling Day.

If you're still reading this blog, you're a good enough friend to know that I'm one of two sets of twins. Yes, two pregnancies, four children. Needless to say, that called for some challenging times growing up, I'm sure my parents won't disagree.

Being a twin had its advantages-- shared responsibilities like homework assignments, we had twice the friends, always had someone to defend your position whether right or wrong, and there was always someone to split the chores with, although Meredith always seemed to dodge the dishes.

It certainly had its disadvantages-- the blackmail factor when you got in trouble at school, sharing birthday cakes, sharing a car, sharing most anything for that matter, and though we didn't, everyone else always wanted to compare us. Oh, and there's always the weirdos who think we can feel each others pain. Come on, people.

Anyway, there was never a dull moment growing up, because there was always someone there for us. And that became apparent in our small town. Campaigning, conversations would normally go along these lines:

Me: "Hey, I'm Boyd Brown, running for the State House."
Voter: "Brown. You one of (insert Belinda/Melissa/Melanie's) twins?"
Me: "Yes mam."
Voter: "You got a twin brother?"
Me: "No, that's Russ and Joe. I've got a twin sister, Meredith. She's out there in the car, making sure I get from one place to the other out here."
Voter: "Y'all are the babies. I remember when y'all were born."
Me: "Can I count on your vote?"
Voter: "Is she voting for you?"
Me: "She better."
Voter: "OK then, you got my vote."

That sort of thing happened for years, long before campaigning, and my mom was usually called by the wrong name, given the difficulty which is saying "Melinda." We were "the twins" to most anyone in town, and truth be told, I guess we still are. Happy (belated) Sibling Day, folks. If you're lucky enough to have brothers or sisters, then you're lucky enough.

Meredith, Joe, Jessica (Russ' wife), me, Russ on Lookout Mtn, Montreat

No comments:

Post a Comment